Monday, October 5, 2009

Canandaigua Lake En Plein Aire






Painting has always been a passion and able to heal me when I am feeling all kinds of emotions. One day after both of my children left for college and I was feeling a little lost, I wandered into the Pat Rini Rohrer Gallery in Canandaigua. Pat is one of the best artists in the Finger Lakes area and suggested I take a class in oils to start exploring this new phase of my life. Pat was an angel that showed up at just the right time. When the student is ready, the teacher appears!  These are a few of the paintings from this summer's plein aire class I took with Pat and the other amazing artists.... we are a group learning and growing with each other, creating art and enjoying the beauty of the Finger Lakes area where we live. 

Plein air is a term derived from the French phrase en plein aire, which literally means 'in the open air'. It's a familiar concept today, but in the late 1800s when the Impressionists ventured out of their studios into nature to investigate and capture the effects of sunlight and different times of days on a subject, it was quite revolutionary.




No comments:

Post a Comment